AAGANA is a not for profit, charitable organisation that runs short term residential treatment facilities for people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless with living skills issues.
Our mission is to assist each of our clients in achieving their long-term personal goals.
The AAGANA program has been designed to achieve long-term success, returning clients to society with a positive outlook, healthy lifestyle choices, living and coping skills.
Originally developed and passed on by Vincent Tempone, it has been identified as one of the most successful programs in Australia and has achieved numerous long-term successes over the past thirty years.
- The AAGANA Program has clients engaged in the following activities:
- Facilitated living skills based group sessions
- Individual counselling and case management
- 12 step based recovery program including one-on-one step work and 12 step meetings in the community
- Short and long-term goal setting
- Highly intensive exercise program designed to release natural endorphins, combating the effects of depression and anxiety
- Weight training to regain lost muscle strength
- Yoga and meditation for the mind
- Gentle activities, such as walking and gardening
- Living skills activities such as personal hygiene, cooking and general domestic duties.
AAGANA is a counsellor based facility and is staffed 24 hours, seven days a week by people who have the experience to pass on the tools required to achieve long-term success. We facilitate access to professional external help where appropriate and provide a safe, accountable environment for our clients to pursue their goals.
- We aim to support long-term recovery from poor life choices.
- Our work is effective because it is based on a proven, practical program that has been developed over thirty years.
- We respond to community needs and address a full range of issues.
- We are proudly independent and not-for-profit.
- We seek partnerships and alliances to increase the impact of our work.
- Respect, Integrity, Accountability, Client-focused
- We recognise people for who they are and embrace diversity.
- We consider WHS as a priority in our AAGANA environment.
- We engage in inclusive consultation and communication with staff, clients and interagency partnerships.
- We do what we say we will do.
- We perform high quality, evidence based work.
- We behave in a way that is consistent with our values.
- We are accountable, individually and as an organisation, for our behaviours, actions and results.
- We recognise and celebrate achievement for staff and clients.
- We support effective partnerships with others.
- We focus on getting results for all our clients.
- We aim to support long-term goals.
- We provide a specialist care service that gives clients a sense of purpose and wellbeing.
REMEMBER YOU HAVE COME TO AAGANA TO IMPLEMENT CHANGE.
David G. Ney
Managing Director and FOUNDER
David Ney moved to the Coffs Harbour in 1997 leaving Sydney where he had held the position of National Marketing Manager for YKK Australia Pty Ltd. YKK was the largest supplier of slide fasteners and allied products here in Australia with an annual turnover in excess of $34,000,000.
Since moving to Coffs Harbour, David has established the business Delta Car Rentals (now Europcar) and was the Coffs Manager for Titan Enterprises who manufacture and supply Steel frame buildings, sheds and garages.
David attended Adele Dundas, Coffs Harbour as a client in 2006 to address his own living skills issues. David completed his treatment and has remained focused since his exit from the program. David kept close to the program, and after a stint of volunteering he obtained casual work at the welfare facility and soon after became a successful counsellor there for many years seeing many clients through the program.
David was then to take a position with Centrelink where he stayed on contract for two years before returning to welfare for a brief period. He then left to start his own renovation and handyman business.
David’s management skills had “landed” him the position of Manager Airport Services Coffs Harbour for QANTAS and Tiger Airways.
David has however, continually been drawn back to the community services sector having also held positions with Coffs Harbour Support Services and as Coordinator at Mercy Connect. Both of these organisations care for the welfare of clients with complicated mental health disabilities,
however, David’s vision and his passions have always been for community based projects.